Which guard should I get: Aero, Max or Junior?
Junior is for children ages 7-10. For ages 11 and up, the choice of an Aero or Max depends on the level of protection you need.
- Aero Guard is our most popular guard. Aero is 1.6 mm thin and is used by those who like the superior protection of a SISU Mouthguard, but prefer the thinner profile. Most commonly used in team sports such as: lacrosse, field hockey, basketball, football, hockey (with full cage helmet).
- Max Guard is 2.4 mm thin and offers more protection than the Aero. It’s generally used in sports that have a higher rate of direct facial contact and aggressive play. Most commonly used in: rugby, MMA, ice hockey (with visor helmet)
- Junior Guard is the smaller version of Aero is also 1.6 mm thin and designed for children between 7-10 years of age. If you have a smaller mouth but are 11 years or older, you should use an Aero guard. Using the Junior Guard if you are older than 11 may void any available dental warranty and possibly putting your teeth at more risk for injury.
How do you fit a SISU Mouthguard?
Please visit our fitting page
for complete fitting instructions and a helpful video.
How long will my SISU last?
Keeping it clean and letting it dry before storing will keep the germs at bay and extend the life of the guard. Your SISU Mouthguard is covered by a $35,000 dental warranty
for up to 1 year after purchase. We recommend you replace your sisu mouth guard once a season or at the very minimum at least once a year.
Can I wear a SISU Mouthguard with braces?
SISU Mouthguards work great with braces because they can be remolded as teeth are shifting throughout treatment. In order to successfully fit your SISU Mouthguard, a protective barrier (such as dental wax) is needed to cover the brackets during the fitting process. We recommend having your orthodontist help with the fitting. Visit our braces page
for more information.
What if I want to remold my SISU Mouthguard?
Your SISU Mouthguard is remoldable up to 20 times without losing its protective properties. Just put your guard in hot water (160℉) and watch it return to its original shape.
I have a really small mouth… should I trim the mouthguard before fitting it?
Do not trim your SISU Mouthguard. With SISU, every part of the guard is important when it comes to getting the most protection out of your mouthguard: the perforations, the crumple zones, the boomerang shape. Not only will trimming the guard void any available dental warranty, but your teeth will be at a lot more risk for injury.
But I still have a small mouth…should I purchase a SISU Junior instead?
By the time you turn 11, your jaw has fully formed. You’ll need all the material provided in any of our adult mouthguards to provide you with the best protection. SISU is a custom fit guard that forms to the exact shape of the user’s teeth. Using the Junior Guard if you are older than 11, may void any available dental warranty.
Do you have a mouthguard for the lower teeth?
You can wear a SISU on your both top and bottom teeth, but most of our athletes prefer the comfort and strength that a single mouthguard provides. If you want protection for your lower teeth, we recommend using the Aero Guard
How do you clean a SISU Mouthguard?
Clean your guard using a non-whitening toothpaste or soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 10 minutes only. Do not use denture tablets, dish soap, or harsh cleansers. Avoid products containing alcohol.
Does my SISU contain any harsh chemicals?
Our mouthguards do not contain any of the following chemicals: PVC, Latex, BPA, BPS or Phthalates.
Can I wear SISU for night grinding?
We recommend that you use our SOVA night guard
for grinding and clenching. SOVA is specifically engineered to diffuse and redistribute the forces of night grinding and clenching. SOVA doesn't go as high on the gum line, has a smaller profile and is much more comfortable than SISU for night time use. Its design is specific to night grinding and clenching. While SISU can be used at night, under no circumstances should SOVA be used as an athletic guard.
Do mouthguards protect against concussions?
How do I clean and store my SISU?
FOR STORAGE IN HOT WEATHER CLIMATES
- Clean your guard using a non-whitening toothpaste or mild soap.
- You can also soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide for no more than 10 minutes
- Do not use denture tablets, dish soap, or mouthwash
- Avoid products containing alcohol or harsh cleansers
- Do not wash your SISU Mouthguard in the dishwasher or expose it to extreme heat
- Carefully rinse and dry before storing your guard at room temperature
- Consider purchasing a case to keep it safe, clean, and out of reach from your pets
- Keep out of direct sunlight
- Store your guard in water using a plastic water tight container. The water acts as an insulator against the heat.
Do you make a mouthguard with a tether/strap?
The SISU Mouthguard does not offer the option of a strap or tether at this time.